
Merry Christmas to you all from the desert!
This week was mostly set aside to help us acclimate to the Middle East and to its time zone. As to the temp – well that was easy. Typically we have 70 for the day time high and 50 for the evening low with sun or fog.
We are 8 hours head in time and shifting the eight hours ahead is taking more time than I expected … In addition to the time shift, we are sleeping on very uncomfortable cots. I look forward to Iraq where I will be able to sleep, instead, on an uncomfortable bed.
I guess the question of the day is how does one celebrate Christmas in Kuwait? Well, I went to mass last night (the Catholic priest is at other bases today) after coming back from a couple of days of training in the desert. There were about 35 other people there, some of whom I have come to know over the last three weeks of training – others in Kuwait on different assignments. We started by singing carols. We sounded terrible, but all sang and it moved us (me at least) into the Christmas season. The mass proceeded as one would expect (except for less singing). After Mass I headed off to the USO and got in line to use the computer (checked email). Then I got in line to use the phone and called home to family. Then there was a little reading, a little food and a little talking with my shipmates who where hanging out.
This morning (Christmas Day) I set the alarm for 4:30 so that I could make it to Starbucks and Skype with my wife and kids on their Christmas Eve. Today I will get in line for the phone some more and try to call my Mom and Dad and my family again. Some more reading, some more conversations with shipmates, some more working out, perhaps a movie and some Christmas food in the dinning facility. Most everyone wishes they were back home with their loved ones – ironically this is a bond that ties us all together today and in sharing that bond … it makes missing my family a little more tolerable.
Not being home for Christmas – I now know it feels. Still, I don’t feel too sorry for myself, because after all, Jesus wasn’t home for Christmas either. He was in a barn in the middle of the desert (a mere 750 mile drive from current position) far from home. To me it speaks of the love of God for us – to voluntarily accept such conditions on our behalf. It is a love that I need to remind myself of.
I admit that often I do not always feel close to God – although I always have the desire. Today, missing God and missing my family are kind of mixing in my head. As I struggle to connect to them this holiday, I am reminded and renewed of my struggles to connect with God on this Holy of Days. And having had a great conversation with my family early this morning, I am hopeful for a good connection with God as well.
And even should my feelings remain melancholy (which at times happens with my family too, depending on how things are going at home) I now that that the connection of Love is concrete and there is a deep and true peace in knowing the reality of this love.
To all of you I wish you a very Merry Christmas. May you feel the warmth of love through family, friends and the God who loves us so much that he did not spare his only son,
Chris Culver
This week was mostly set aside to help us acclimate to the Middle East and to its time zone. As to the temp – well that was easy. Typically we have 70 for the day time high and 50 for the evening low with sun or fog.
We are 8 hours head in time and shifting the eight hours ahead is taking more time than I expected … In addition to the time shift, we are sleeping on very uncomfortable cots. I look forward to Iraq where I will be able to sleep, instead, on an uncomfortable bed.
I guess the question of the day is how does one celebrate Christmas in Kuwait? Well, I went to mass last night (the Catholic priest is at other bases today) after coming back from a couple of days of training in the desert. There were about 35 other people there, some of whom I have come to know over the last three weeks of training – others in Kuwait on different assignments. We started by singing carols. We sounded terrible, but all sang and it moved us (me at least) into the Christmas season. The mass proceeded as one would expect (except for less singing). After Mass I headed off to the USO and got in line to use the computer (checked email). Then I got in line to use the phone and called home to family. Then there was a little reading, a little food and a little talking with my shipmates who where hanging out.
This morning (Christmas Day) I set the alarm for 4:30 so that I could make it to Starbucks and Skype with my wife and kids on their Christmas Eve. Today I will get in line for the phone some more and try to call my Mom and Dad and my family again. Some more reading, some more conversations with shipmates, some more working out, perhaps a movie and some Christmas food in the dinning facility. Most everyone wishes they were back home with their loved ones – ironically this is a bond that ties us all together today and in sharing that bond … it makes missing my family a little more tolerable.
Not being home for Christmas – I now know it feels. Still, I don’t feel too sorry for myself, because after all, Jesus wasn’t home for Christmas either. He was in a barn in the middle of the desert (a mere 750 mile drive from current position) far from home. To me it speaks of the love of God for us – to voluntarily accept such conditions on our behalf. It is a love that I need to remind myself of.
I admit that often I do not always feel close to God – although I always have the desire. Today, missing God and missing my family are kind of mixing in my head. As I struggle to connect to them this holiday, I am reminded and renewed of my struggles to connect with God on this Holy of Days. And having had a great conversation with my family early this morning, I am hopeful for a good connection with God as well.
And even should my feelings remain melancholy (which at times happens with my family too, depending on how things are going at home) I now that that the connection of Love is concrete and there is a deep and true peace in knowing the reality of this love.
To all of you I wish you a very Merry Christmas. May you feel the warmth of love through family, friends and the God who loves us so much that he did not spare his only son,
Chris Culver
PS. The picture is me enjoying the fine dining of an MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) at the desert training site.