Monday, December 21, 2009

In the desert



Kuwait has been slow as our main task here is to adjust to the weather (more of an issue for the summer) and adjust to the time zone. When we first arrived in the desert of Kuwait I was struck by the vast desolation of the land. There were no trees, except for a few palm trees planted near the airport (only about 2 blocks worth). And this was true for as far as the eye could see – even looking from the airplane window for the previous two hours before landing. Additionally, we had a minor sand storm after getting off the plane with no building to enter. Instead we waited on a gravel covered lot which had a shade covering off to one corner. From my history I knew that this area of the world was the cradle of civilization. For the life of me, I could not understand why humanity started in such conditions, but I could readily relate to why humanity left for other parts of the world. We aren’t in South Bend anymore – water, trees, greenery and snow were all part of the past. I was feeling that this is definitely NOT a land worth fighting for.

But as I am living her now for a couple of days, I can see how people make a living here. It is definitely not my cup of tea, but for others … it works. For me then, it is the people for whom this fight exists. I have met a few locals and they are nice and friendly much in the same way back home. It reminds me that we are all simple people in the end. For what I need to do here this complicates things (as it always does). It will be my challenge for the next year to align myself with those who choose to build and work to thwart those who choose to destroy – as our common humanity makes discerning who is who difficult.

As to life here for the sailor … I am not longer living with 34 of my favorite friends. … Now I am living with 41 of my favorite friends. J. Here is our berthing area.



The food is plentiful (if not good even). The air is very dry and we have all of the bottled water we can drink. They stack it outside of every building for the taking. I have come to find out that this is the one of the top benefits to being military in the Middle East. On a side note, this didn’t stop the Base Exchange (BX) from offering to sell bottled water. I was amazed and then saw the bottles were covered with dust and marked “May”. I guess the store manager discovered water was poor choice of product when Uncle Sam provided it free. Uncle Sam doesn’t want any soldiers passing out from dehydration.

They have a nice USO, which I heard was highlighted on an episode of “Man Caves.” Don’t watch the show myself but I am thankful for their work. In the USO, I am allowed to make a 20 minute call home (have to wait for an hour or an hour and half to do so) which is great. They also have nice couches, several TV’s (watch only a little TV) and a few other nice things here and there. Kind of crowded all the time, but a great place all the same.

Some of the unique things about living on a Military Base in the Middle East are that there is no running water in the berthing areas. To shower we need to head to the shower truck. To go to the head (navy term for “bathroom”) you can visit any one of the hundreds of port-a-potties scattered throughout the base. None of the heads have electricity so if it dark outside you need to feel your way around or take a flashlight. It makes for some interesting yoga as one tries to juggle keeping clean and carrying a weapon (right now I am only carrying a pistol on my leg). One needs to be uniform going to and from these facilities which makes taking care of your personal business last just that much longer (have to dress to go to the bathroom). As you can see from the picture we all sleep on the uncomfortable cots. Overall though it is not a bad place. Beats living in the deep desert which is what we will do for two days (of training) in the coming week.

The chapel is actually quite nice, but as a total package I am finding it hard to get into the Christmas spirit this season. Advent on the other hand … I am gaining a new appreciating of the concept of a season of “waiting.” First off waiting can be frustrating. I have experienced this to the full this advent season. There were times when we got up at 4:30 am at Fort Jackson only to sit around and start training at 9 or 10 am. It seemed useless and meaningless waste of sleep time. At other times, the waiting wasn’t bad – if not productive (I used the waiting time to get some necessary items accomplished). And then there were other times when I saw the meaning of waiting (like giving a shipmate time to qual on the gun range). Waiting can be good or bad – it is what we make of it. I guess that is much like life. We are given situations to deal with and what we choose (to do in action, to think and to feel) in the end makes or doesn’t make a life worth living.

During this lent I have been praying for myself so that I will be able to live the good decisions (even if difficult) while I spend the next year in Iraq. Some of the guys have determined to shut their “brain off and endure the year.” I find that existence meaningless and intolerable. I do not know how yet, but I to leave Iraq, and the men and women I serve better for having met me. If you pray for me, please add that intentions to your prayers.

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and enjoy your family and friends,

Chris Culver

PS

Here are a few pictures of the base …

First off to my Army buddies I enjoy the following section in the library. What is wrong with this picture?




By the way, this is what the library looks like (as well as most of the buildings on base) …



This is the center of town …



And this is the a close-up of the second building from the left.