Sunday, December 6, 2009

From the Navy to the Narmy

It has been quite the week!

In fact when I was talking with my parents today, last Sunday seemed like a life time ago. If last week was my transformation from civilian life to active duty, this week was my transformation from Navy to Army life (a transformation that will continue through the next two weeks (when I head off to Kuwait following on to Iraq). The training is required because all of us Navy folks will be serving roles in Army commands. We need to know the Army way of life.

On Sunday night I checked in after the 14 hour drive from South Bend (it was great to see the family for Thanksgiving). I then when to berthing (sleeping area) where I found my rack (bed) and locker. I am sleeping with myself and 34 of my best friends.



For those of you who have trouble sensing sarcasm, that last sentence was sarcastic. It took a couple days for all of us to get used to living with each other. At an average age of 36 years old, we are all pretty much used to our privacy – which is no longer there.

Monday was basic introduction and get a bunch of stuff day. Some of the stuff we will never use and other stuff we will use all of the time. Everybody gets it all. Some of the stuff I will get to keep and other stuff I will have to turn back in. By and large it is a lot of cool stuff (like the Gortex jacket) – unfortunately it is all colored in Army camouflage. One of the things we received was our 45 lbs (or approx 25 Newtons) of Individual Body Armor (IBA’s). This is the stuff that stops bullets which is good. But after wearing it much of this last week, it is pretty heavy. Took some getting used to wearing.




Wednesday was a full day of briefing on about things that really brought the war part of this mission home. We talked about things to do when attacked and how to administer first aid. Please continue to pray for all of those affected by war, that their hearts not be hardened by the violence they see, but that they remain open to the Love who is God.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday were early mornings (up at 4:30 or 5:00)


During these mornings, we practiced shooting our weapons – a lot. I was able to qualify on all of the weapons I need the first time through. It was challenging moving around with all of the Body Armor on and took some practice. Through all of this we are being trained by 12 Army Drill sergeants and civilians. I appreciate their patience as they work with bunch of older sailors who by choice picked the Navy over the Army – some of which who are still struggling with now being in the Narmy.

One of the interesting things about the week is that wherever we go we have to carry our weapons with us (a pistol and a riffle). This is to get us used to carrying a weapon around which what we will do once we get into county.

Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning I was able to see my parents who live about 40 miles away. That was really cool. I will get to see them again next weekend. Here is my dad and me in the barracks.




Below is a link to a video that kind of explains what I am doing in Fort Jackson these three weeks. The only thing different from what I am doing is that I will NOT be working in an anti- IED role. I will be working on ensuring that the US economic support is still effective Iraq as we draw down the number of troops during 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7C6j5oPRR8&feature=related

Take care and God bless,
Chris Culver