Sunday, January 10, 2010

"CHU"ly nice Living

As you know from my last posting I am finally in Iraq. When I first got her I lived in a tent on Victory Base Near the Airport in Bahgdad. Lived here for 3 days before moving to the Embassy.



I then went to the NEC (New Embassy Complex - Now that the US has been here a year they are trying to people to call it the EC and get rid of the new) This week (Thursday) I moved into my permanent home for the rest of my time here. We call them CHUs (Containerized Housing Units). As you can see from the pictures they are not to big, or too small. They have not water in them. To go to the bathroom and shower, I need to go to a “wet” CHU. Fortunately the wet CHU is right next door so it is a short walk. Like on the other bases, need to be in some resemblance of a uniform to head off to the Wet CHU. This of course is all outside. Before moving into my permanent CHU, I was in a transient CHU. It was the same size, but housed 4 (vice 2) people.

Transitory CHU


Three Picture of my permanent home. You have to love the pink blanket supplied by the Army (sub contracted work of course).













My CHU roommate’s name is Eric. We really don’t see each other that much since I like to get personal stuff done late and night and he likes to get stuff done early in the morning. Thus he his sleeping when I get back and gone by the time I get up. We really don’t spend much time in the CHU anyway. My work schedule is as follows:

Mon – Sat 0800 – 2100
Sun 1200-2100

I can workout during those times, should the workload allow (which is about 70% of the time) so it is not all work. If I can’t workout during the day, I typically do it after hours. Things that I do during personal time are:
1. Write this blog (picture the place at the Embassy Complex were I write my blog. It has WiFi)



2. Call (via Skype) home on Sat, Sun and Wed nights. – which is in the afternoon for them. On the other days, I will call Kelly on the phone which is around 1 pm for her so the kids are in school. (This is what I see on my Skype window ... That's Kelly and Josh)



3. Do my laundry (every 3 to 4 days)
4. Pay bills and other admin stuff
5. Read – which next to talking with the family is my favorite.
6. Hang out with some of my colleagues.
7. Work late (which unfortunately I do more than #6).
8. Go to Church
9. Watch a movie on Sat night.

The days kind of run together and knowing the Day of the Week is more just and aid to know which meeting schedule I am following for the day. Many people describe the schedule as living the movie “Ground Hog Day.” I am not there yet, but the difference between days of the week lack the “feel” they do back home. Since the days are much the same, I plan on using the blog to highlight the various intricacies of living and working here in Iraq.

Hope you all have a good week.

Pax et Bonum,
Chris