Saturday, November 20, 2010

Iraq is a country ... not a war

Today I am leaving and heading home to the United States. For all who have followed this blog and for those who discovery it I would like to simply close with the title:

Iraq is a country and not a war. I have talked with some many back home and here in the military and they miss that point. It is a place full of people with hopes, dreams and aspirations. They are young, old and inbetween. And like all countries they have problems ... more than most. But unlike any other country, we the Unites Stated Goverment (USG) started something here to which we have the moral responsiblity to finish. Next year the troops will leave, but the USG cannot leave. Our work here in not done. The USG's efforts will be lead by the Department of State and the US Embassy here. Many will argue as to what exactly we should do - that is only fair. It is messy rebuilding and failed state - and we can only do it well if we realize were we are in the "expereince" ("fight" would not be the right word) for the long haul.

The expereince as war in Iraq has change us a nation. I only hope that the expereince of building a partnership with Iraq will also change us - perhaps this time for the better.

Peace,

Mr Culver - Civilian and Physics Teacher

PS. In my time here I have met several American who have sacrificed part of their lives here in the Middle East - many for years and years. As a nation we owe these men and women, civilians and military a great deal of thanks. We owe their wives and children, family and friends that same level of thanks ... the most successful here have people back home. It it the tie to others that makes them good messengers of freedom and democracy.