Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Home Front








Chris asked me to step in and share the perspective from the other half of “team Culver.” We are three months into this grand adventure. That’s a quarter of the way, yeah!

We are all doing well for the most part. I know Chris is working hard and keeping busy. That is what we are trying to do as well. The kids and I like to stay busy anyway—going to the gym, sledding, skating, playing games, reading, wrestling (though I am not nearly as good as dad is, the kids are quick to tell me). We have also been packing the house as we prepare to move. Chris and I looked at a house right before he left. It’s the one. We have been looking for years, and finally found one that has all that we need. We had plans to move when Chris returned, but it’s helping pass the dreary winter days by staying busy. It’s amazing how much stuff a family accumulates over time.

The kids are doing well in school, keeping up the hard work. We did not really know what to expect behaviorally and emotionally with Chris being gone. But their teachers assure me that they are doing well. Sophie misses Chris the most or is at least the most vocal about it. Josh and Ben say it from time to time; Sophie gets sad. When Chris left, we ordered a “daddy doll.” It is a stuffed picture of Chris in his uniform, about 12 inches long. Sophie sleeps with him from time to time and takes him to school. He has a special seat when he goes to the second grade class room. When not with Sophie, he sits on the couch in the living room. We have kept him away from Molly; she does like to chew on everything. (We got a puppy right after Chris left. He never wanted two dogs but the kids and I have wanted one for a while. She is very much a part of the family. Oscar, our other dog, loves her.)

We are getting help in lots of different ways and that has been great. Our parish community has been wonderful bringing meals every Friday. My parents have been helping out with child care and little extras. My aunt helps take the kids to school in the morning, so I can get to work earlier. We also have lots of people praying for us, and I really believe that this has been a huge help.

So, please keep us all and all the military families in your prayers.

Peace,
Kelly